Whether you are searching for a creative challenge or are looking for ways to save money while updating your kitchen, find ways to keep your kitchen remodel within budget. From buying second hand appliances to finding salvaged goods, here is MaxSold’s guide to finding great deals while remodeling your kitchen.
Tips for Do It Yourself Kitchen Remodeling
Buy Used Appliances Online
Second hand restaurant and consumer appliances sell at a fraction of the price of new items on online auction platforms like MaxSold or eBay. Keep an eye out and be ready to grab a great deal on items when remodeling your kitchen, including:
- Electric kettle
- Kitchen Island
- Butcher Block
Choose lightly used furniture to freshen up your kitchen.
- Kitchen table
- Bar stools
- China Cabinet
Getting Creative with Second Hand Furniture
Create more storage space by repurposing bookshelves or china cabinets. Touch up these items with a new coat of paint or stain.
With a creative eye, you can combine multiple pieces of second hand furniture to create something new. For instance, combine two similarly sized cabinets and top them with a butcher-block to make a kitchen island.
Other Tips for Finding Kitchen Remodeling Deals
- Buy new appliances in early fall. At this time of year, last year’s models are being cleared out to make room for new models.
- If you need to buy a new appliance, consider buying the floor model. These models tend to cost less expensive than boxed items and are in good condition.
- When you can, go directly to the source to buy products. For windows and doors, cut out the middleman by going to your local building supplier. Need granite for your countertop? Go directly to the granite supply yard and buy remnant stones. You can save 20% to 30% on each item.
- Consider a less expensive alternative to granite counter tops such as Okite or linoleum.
- Shop around for wall paint. You can often find discounts on paint that was tinted incorrectly.
- Consider your flooring options. Some inexpensive options include laminate and painted cement floors.
- Instead of completely replacing your cabinets, consider adding new cabinet doors or a new coat of paint to spruce them up.
Keep your kitchen layout the same. Changing the location of your sink, dishwasher, or refrigerator means hiring an electrician and plumber.